Effective communication is extremely important in anything you do, especially when you work from home. Relationships depend on it. Parenting success depends on it. Virtual working relationships DEFINITELY depend on it. It sounds easy. And it is easy.
You just have to make sure you are doing it! Keeping the lines of communication open when you are working from home can make the difference of a project taking you three hours the first time, then three hours the second time, because you had to redo it. Why? Because there was NO communication!
Here are my 7 tips on effective communication:
- Listen. Concentrate on what they are saying. If you aren’t listening to your clients or co-workers, you’re going to miss something. Which will no doubt cause you to have to re-do something.
- Ask questions. If you are unclear on what they are saying or maybe you have a more efficient way to do something, speak up! Focus on what will make your task better for not only you but also for your client.
- Follow through. If you tell someone you’re going to do something, do it! Easy as that. Your word needs to mean something.
- Let your client know of problems as they arise. This not only opens communication, but also helps to gain trust.
- Regular meetings. Weekly meetings with a client will save tasks from falling through the cracks.
- Appreciation. People are more apt to keep the lines of communication open if you let them know you appreciate when they do come to you. That works both ways, hopefully your clients will show you appreciation as well!
- Keep an open mind. Always. Look at every side of a situation and try to see the situation from the other person’s viewpoint. It will help you both come to an agreeable decision.
Do you have anything to add? We would LOVE to hear your tips as well!